Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Susan and Goobs....

I found a few pictures of Susan and Gambol, or Goobs as we called him. Susan had Gambol for years and wherever she went, he went. When she joined the military, my other cousin Lori took him for a while. He lost an eye to a tumor I believe, and when I started learning to ride on him, I think he was around 18 or 19. Goobs was a smart Anglo Arab and if he didn't like you, he would head for the nearest tree and rub you off on a low branch. He liked to head butt a person too so one had to be careful they didn't get knocked to the ground with his head. Here is Sue giving Gambol a good scratching...

On this particular day, we got dropped off at the far end of the pasture and caught Sonny and Gambol for a ride to the gate. Bareback, no helmet, and not really knowing how to ride, I hung on for dear life as the herd headed up the hill and down the other side coming to a sliding stop at the bottom. I'll always remember that day; the adrenaline, the laughter, and just being glad I didn't get dumped!

Susan, giving last minute instructions before the wild ride began!

No comments: