Monday, March 21, 2011

More Lessons On Human Nature


I was determined to leave Judy’s ranch as soon as possible. Judy refused to keep Pepper the dog away from the horses and it was only a matter of time before Mystery got hurt. I quickly found another ranch willing to take him. It was San Antonio ranch and they had pasture boarding, stalls and an arena. Next I found a two horse straight load trailer I could rent. I headed out early in the morning to take Mystery to his new home.

I was happy to find the ranch deserted. I had given Judy notice by phone and told her she could just keep the month’s rent, and was grateful I did not have her there to harass me. I had never loaded a horse in a trailer before, nor driven a truck pulling a trailer and was nervous. I filled the manger with hay and lead Mystery inside. He went inside without a problem and I closed the back door. I tied him from the other slot, went out the escape door and thought to myself “how easy was that?”

Just then I looked back at the trailer in time to see the escape door pop open and Mystery attempt to get out of the trailer through the escape door! I had never checked that side to see if it was latched! I was horrified. He had managed to get his front legs out but his head was pulled backwards over his back, still tied from the inside. I pushed against his chest, trying to get him to back up but I knew that would not work. He was bent, half in, half out with his head and neck twisted. I knew what I had to do.

I quickly untied his halter and freed his head. Then I stepped back and I prayed. I am not religious at all, but I prayed to God “Please, please, God, don’t let me kill my horse”. I watched as Mystery swayed, back and forth, then I saw him go side to side and in one motion he jumped through the escape hatch, lowering one side of his hip and was free. I could see he was scrapped up, his front leg and both (skinny) hips, but he just immediately started to graze and did not seem freaked out at all. “Thank you Lord” I thought to myself. Now what do I do?

Judy’s ranch was right down the street from a handicap riding center. I looked up just in time to see a truck had stopped on the road and someone was watching. I am sure I was in tears by that point and soon a young man was walking over to me asking if I need help. I blurted out what had happened and was probably in hysterics by then…I thought for sure I had killed my horse and how could I even think I could ever own and be responsible for a live creature like this. The man was calm and reassuring and told me he would help me. But how would we ever get him back into the trailer after such a bad experience? I thought to myself.

The young man went over to Mystery, put his lead and halter back on and calmly stepped inside the trailer. Mystery followed like nothing had happened. This same young man then followed me, over dirt roads, up and over the mountains, to the new ranch as I drove painfully slow; never having driving a truck and trailer before. When we arrived he unloaded Mystery and then he had me load him right back up again. Three times we loaded and unloaded him with no issues at all. I could not thank him enough….I never even knew his name.

But I did know where he worked. Halleck Creek has helped people with disabilities for over 30 years now. Therapeutic horseback riding is a valuable form of physical and mental therapy, as well as an effective way for people with disabilities to access rugged terrain. They are run by volunteers and rely on donations. I hope I have paid forward the favor over the years via donations. This young man unselfishly came through for me, a stranger, unasked when needed most. I will be forever grateful for that.

http://www.halleckcreekranch.org/view.cfm/3/About-Us

1 comment:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm glad to hear that Mystery wasn't injured in his little trailer adventure. You never know what sort of trouble they can get themselves into right?

I think you've just restored my faith in the human race. What a nice guy to help you without being asked. There aren't many who would volunteer. My daughter and myself would have stopped to lend a hand but so many people don't.

As an example a few weeks ago the girl who works for us a few days a week passed in her truck while we had no electricity for days and were carting water buckets out to the horses. She waved and kept going. If I didn't need her on the weekends...