Friday, May 6, 2011

ESCAPE FROM CIVILIZATION


San Antonio Ranch had a hilly pasture behind the ranch, rows of stalls, washing area and an arena. This was the first time Mystery or I had been at a ‘show’ barn. I was dazzled by the beautiful tall horses jumping in the arena and intimidated by the mostly male instructors working their students repeatedly in their patterns. I was excited about the possibilities I imagined would be in front of me; washing my boy in the wash racks, taking lessons, jumping the jumps
The barn owner put Mystery out in the pasture with the other horses immediately. He had just fed everyone when we arrived late in the afternoon and felt there would be no better time for introductions. The horses were all busy and barely noticed my guy who also dug into a bale of hay. Darkness came quickly and I headed home. . I could barely sleep that first night just thinking about the adventures we would have ahead.

The next morning I was up and out to the ranch as soon as the sun rose. The horses were in front for their morning feed and I was excited about seeing my boy. Only I could not find him. I searched the herd and then headed up the steep hills toward the back; dreading what I may find. There was no sign of him. Panic set in and I found the barn owner and he drove to the back on his ATV. He soon pointed out to me signs in the long grass of a horse jumping a low part of the fence in the corner. I could plainly see where the grass had been trampled, leading up and into the ranch adjacent to ours. My boy had jumped the fence and headed for ‘home’.

I had my halter and lead rope, and started following the trail. I reached the crest and I saw more hilly grasslands for what seemed like miles and miles. This ranch was huge, and it looked so much like the pasture in Livermore where Mystery grew up. As I walked I became more concerned, more panicked. What if I never found my boy? What if the rancher found him first and would not give him back? What if he jumped a fence into the street? Why was he so unhappy he felt he had to leave.

Looking up, I saw the shape of a very dark horse in the distance. Would he come to me? As I got closer he picked his head up out of the grass and gave me a very hard stare. I started talking to him like it was any other day, calm, soft and what I hoped was soothing. He did not turn away but instead he let me put the lead rope around his neck and soon I had his head in the halter. We started the long walk home….....

I had many plans for Mystery and I in the 'civilized' horse world. Unfortunately, Mystery had his own ideas....

No comments: